- Comité des Ministres
- Assemblée parlementaire
- Droits de l'homme
- Droits de l'homme et démocratie
- Droit des enfants et droit de la famille
- Les institutions démocratiques en action
- Dossiers sur les droits de l'homme
- Charte sociale européenne
- Cahiers de la Charte Sociale
- Egalité entre femmes et hommes
- Cour européenne des droits de l'homme
- Commissaire aux droits de l'homme
- Commission européenne des droits de l'homme
- Démocratie locale et régionale
- Questions européennes
- Comité des Ministres
Perspectives on youth - Volume 3 - Healthy Europe: confidence and uncertainty for young people in contemporary Europe (2016)
What is it like to be young in a Europe faced with conflict and austerity?
Volume 3 of the series Perspectives on youth focuses on “healthy Europe”, not just in the narrow sense, but in the broader sense of what it is like to be young in a Europe faced with conflict and austerity, and what it feels like to be young as transitions become ever more challenging. The assumption when planning this issue was that health in this broader sense remains a controversial area within youth policy, where the points of departure of policy makers, on the one hand, and young people themselves on the other are often dramatically different; in fact, young people tend to interpret the dominating discourse as limiting, patronising, maybe even offensive.
The question of health brings the old tensions between protection and participation as well as agency and structure to the forefront. Not all questions are addressed in detail but many are touched upon. It is, intentionally, an eclectic mix of contributions, to provide a diversity of argumentation and to promote reflection and debate. As has been the intention of Perspectives on youth throughout, we have sought to solicit and elicit the views of academics, policy makers and practitioners, presenting theoretical, empirical and hypothetical assertions and analysis.
Perspectives on youth is published by the partnership between the European Union and the Council of Europe in the field of youth in co-operation with, and with support from, four countries: Belgium, Finland, France and Germany. Its purpose is to keep the dialogue on key problems of child and youth policies on a solid foundation in terms of content, expertise and politics. The series aims to act as a forum for information, discussion, reflection and dialogue on European developments and trends in the field of youth policy, youth research and youth work while promoting a policy and youth work practice that is based on knowledge and participatory principles.
The editorial team of this volume is composed of 12 members representing the supporting countries, the Pool of European Youth Researchers (PEYR), the co-ordinator of the youth policy reviews of the Council of Europe, the EU-Council of Europe youth partnership and the co‑ordinator of the editorial team.
EDITORIAL – CONFIDENCE AND UNCERTAINTY FOR YOUNG PEOPLE IN CONTEMPORARY EUROPE
Howard Williamson and Antonia Wulff
1. INTERVIEW WITH HARALD HARTUNG ON YOUTH AND HEALTH
2. THE YOUTH PRECARIAT, “GENERATIONISM” AND THE AUSTERITY CITY
Fred Powell and Margaret Scanlon
3. FROM HOLISTIC NEEDS TO CROSS-SECTORAL MEASURES – AN ANALYSIS OF CROSS-SECTORAL YOUTH POLICY BASED ON RELEVANT DOCUMENTATION
4. ENVISIONING A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
5. YOUTH TRANSITIONS: CHANCES AND CHOICES – GLOBAL DEMOGRAPHIC AND SOCIAL CHALLENGES
6. CORRELATES OF MENTAL HEALTH AND PSYCHOLOGICAL WELL-BEING OF EUROPEAN YOUTH: EVIDENCE FROM THE EUROPEAN QUALITY OF LIFE SURVEY
Haridhan Goswami and Gary Pollock
7. “ILLEGAL BODIES” ON THE MOVE – A CRITICAL LOOK AT FORCED MIGRATION TOWARDS SOCIAL JUSTICE FOR YOUNG ASYLUM-SEEKERS
8. SELF-EFFECTIVE, ACTIVE AND HEALTHY – HEALTH PROMOTION IN INTERNATIONAL YOUTH WORK
9. LGBT YOUNG PEOPLE AND HOMOPHOBIC AND TRANSPHOBIC BULLYING – THE EUROPEAN AND INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS CONTEXT
10. REFLECTIONS ON A LIFETIME OF ENGAGEMENT IN THE YOUTH FIELD – PERSISTING QUESTIONS
11. YOUTH, PEER EDUCATION AND HEALTH: A QUESTIONABLE SOLUTION TO REDUCE SOCIAL INEQUALITIES IN HEALTH (SIH)
12. BODY, HEALTH AND THE UNIVERSE – A POLEMIC AND CRITICAL REVIEW OF YOUTH HEALTH BEHAVIOUR
LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS
ABOUT THE EDITORIAL TEAM